James Alexander “Dickie” Argo, an immigrant watchmaker from Scotland, arrived in Columbus in the early 1900’s. While working for Bancroft Brothers Jewelers on Long Street, James met a German immigrant named Adolph Lehne, who was himself an accomplished jeweler.
Upon the retirement of Mr. Bancroft in 1924, James opened James A. Argo, Jeweler on Third and Long. A year later, his friend Adolph joined him forming Argo & Lehne Jewelers.
“When A & L was only 5 years old, the (stock market) crash of 1929 occurred. It’s amazing how a store that young could hold on and then be rather prosperous even in the 30’s.” — William Alexander Argo